The Andrew H. Wilson Elementary School in the Broadmoor neighborhood is one of five Quick Start schools commissioned by the New Orleans Recovery School District shortly after hurricane Katrina.
The historic 1909 building and the new building wings were designed to meet the most stringent of sustainable design standards, ultimately achieving LEED for Schools Gold. The school accommodates 540 students, including 26 classrooms, cafeteria, gymnasium, and spaces for electives. The new design brought natural daylighting to all classrooms and core learning spaces. A building utilities monitoring software and display is being provided so the students and teachers can understand how much energy and water they are consuming, which will help them integrate strategies to minimize their usage into the classroom curriculum. The school includes customized classrooms for pre-K through 8th grade, as well as specialty science, art and music classrooms.