St. George Catholic Church wins a Gold Circle Award for it's innovative roofing system.
June 1, 2018
Part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge, La., St. George Catholic Church, Baton Rouge, was built in 1908 as a small wooden frame building. In 1960, a school was established at the site, and another facility was built to serve a dual purpose of a gymnasium and temporary church until a standalone church could be built.
Fifty-five years later, the church no longer could accommodate its 3,000 families, so church leaders hired GraceHebert Architects, Baton Rouge. According to GraceHebert Architects, it devised a plan to build a new church for the parish in a "welcoming and community oriented environment that would architecturally become a beacon for the Catholic faith community."
During 2015-16, a new 27,000-square-foot, $18 million church was constructed in the shape of a cross. The new church was built on a corner of the property and can seat 1,200 parishioners along with a new chapel for daily mass services that accommodates an additional 120 people.
Exterior courtyards were redesigned at the main and chapel entries to encourage community interaction. According to GraceHebert Architects: "The simple yet elegant design is a collage of transcendental Christian motifs veiled within the fabric of historical religious archetypes, the Gothic Arch."